Thursday, May 31, 2012

Thurs. May 31, 2012 - our first holiday weekend in WI

 Micaela is 26 weeks old!

 She loves playing outside on the blanket...but does NOT like the grass

 Riley showed her worm, Clifford, to Micaela

 We've been working hard, planting in our landscaped yard

 Riley carefully dropped sunflower seeds, a flower she chose herself

 Chad's first slow cooked pork shoulder in WI

 HUGE success, it was absolutely delicious

 I can't stop taking pictures of this adorable, happy little baby

 Riley running for her first view of Lake Winnebago, a huge lake very nearby

 Impressive

 Abandoned lime kilns

 First family hike in WI

 Micaela relaxing with her Daddy

 The previous owners were avid gardeners and new flowers are constantly popping up. Its a beautiful variety of color and type. I hope we are somehow able to maintain it all

The naked artist (somehow she gets paint everywhere, check out her legs)




We thoroughly enjoyed our long weekend. It feels like we've been going full throttle ever since we moved (actually well before we moved, those last few weeks in CA were hectic) so it was nice to have an extra day off. We managed to get all of our chores done and still had some time to relax. We went to High Cliff State Park which is located on Lake Winnebago, very close to our house. There was something for everyone. Chad went on a bike ride while the girls and I played near the lake and on the playground, then we all went for a hike. I was reminded of one of the hazards of the midwest...mosquitoes! We rarely encountered mosquitoes in CA and I forgot how awful they are. Luckily the girls were both wearing long sleeves and pants to protect them from the sun but I was absolutely eaten alive. 


Another thing I haven't had to worry about for 14 years is rain in the summer. In CA it doesn't rain from early May until October so its always safe to make outdoor plans. Not here! We had planned an outdoor movie night with our neighbors that was rained out. Quite disappointing, but we'll just try again some other night. 


I've been working hard trying to find a preschool for Riley in the fall. Unfortunately registration for most places was in March so several schools that I think would have been a good fit are already full. Today we visited one that I really liked and still has a few spots so at least we have 1 good option. Riley was excited to see the kids and school and is anxious to get back into preschool. We have signed up for various activities through the Parks and Rec to keep her occupied over the summer but I know she'll be ready for school in the fall.


Micaela turned 6 months old on Monday. How is this possible? We had her 6 month visit this week and she is a healthy, proportional baby. She is 26.25 in (70th percentile) and 15 lb 13 oz (50th percentile). These are quite similar to her 3 month statistics, so she is growing just like she should be. Interestingly, they are also very close the Riley's measurements at this age. Unfortunately I wasn't very impressed with our new pediatrician. I had asked around trying to get a recommendation, but I didn't get many since I don't know many people yet and several doctors aren't taking new patients. The practice ended up being huge, we were in exam room 30. A technician took Micaela's stats while a nurse asked me questions about her health and family history. The doctor came in, did her exam, answered my questions and flew out the door while she was still talking to me. It was very efficient but felt so impersonal. I have 3 months until her next visit to find a new one, hopefully I'll make a better match in that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment