What a week! We are learning more about little Micaela and figuring out how to help Riley adjust to her new role. So far Micaela is proving the "each child is different" theory. She is a great eater (Riley was too) and breastfeeding is going very well (so much easier for me too, the second time around). She likes to eat, eat, eat then sleep, sleep, sleep for a few hours at a time. It was months before Riley was able to sleep more than 3 hours. Micaela is a spitter whereas Riley spit up twice in her life. I guess its finally a chance to make good use of all the cute bibs and spit-up rags we never used! Its been fun to figure her out. We feel very blessed to have such a good little baby.
Riley is settling into her role as big sister. She really loves her little sister and asks, "Where's Micaela?" as soon as she gets home from preschool. She always wants to hold her and play with her and so far has been very good and gentle. But she is struggling a bit too. She's cried a few times when we drop her off at school, which she had never done before. We've seen a little regression with her potty training and some days she has multiple tantrums. We're helping her as best we can. Its wonderful to have Chad home so we can tag-team the kids and give Riley lots of attention. We've done some special outings and fun new things (like fondu!) and we stick to her schedule as much as possible. She is doing a great job making the adjustment and I know she'll be her usual self very soon.
Of course, our great routine was disrupted by the flu earlier this week. Poor Riley got sick Monday night, apparently a stomach bug is going through her class. Luckily her fever broke by morning and we spent Tuesday relaxing at home, watching cartoons. With all the bugs Riley will be bringing home I know Micaela will be getting sick but I had hoped we'd make it past her first week! We've been diligent about washing hands and hygiene and so far no one else has gotten sick, knock on wood. Even with this little issue we're all doing great. I love having a newborn in the house again!
At first, I couldn't believe you walked to the park at one week pp. And then, I saw that you went to ZooLights! Wow!! With a 1 week old?? The only place I went the first month of Selina's life was to the pediatrician's office! Well, it's sorta a Chinese thing. I actually wasn't supposed to leave the house at all for a whole month....Anyways, you are awesome!
ReplyDeleteYes I felt the same way! I saw the park pics... then zoolights?!?! You're great! It took me a really, really LONG time to get out of the house! I only went to doc office, Target & Silver Spoon chinese restaurant during the first month!
ReplyDeleteBTW, really really enjoy reading your blog! =)