Thursday, February 28, 2013

Thurs. Feb. 28, 2013 - snow and playdates

 When they came up 1.5 weeks ago, Leon and Cheryl brought up Grandma Annetta's snowblower that was just sitting in her garage. We've already used it 5 times.

 The snowplow took out our mailbox! (the city came out and fixed it) 

 Queen of the mountain!

 Seamus likes to run into the neighbor's yard where they have cleared a spot for their dog. We cleared one out for him, but he still prefers the neighbor's, so Riley considers it her hibernation den.

 Fun in the snow

 While she is a proficient walker on flat ground, Micaela has a hard time walking in the snow. She has an awesome (albeit crazy...notice the shorts) Daddy who clears the path in front of her 

 Snow fort!


Seamus waiting the for the snowball...

 ...jumping up to catch it...

 ...and this is how it ends. Every time. He did this again and again.

 Artist Micaela

 Artist Riley

 Micaela and her friend Ava. Playing ball was more fun when everyone had their own.

 Ava did not always appreciate Micaela's hugs


A tea party with Strawberry Shortcake and her friends

We have so much snow they have started hauling it out in dumptrucks



Another snowy week in Wisconsin. I thought growing up in IL that I was prepared for winter, but I had no idea. We have so much snow and it never melts, so they have started hauling it out in dumptrucks so there are places to park. Snow is part of the lifestyle up here, which I am learning to embrace. I am no longer deterred by driving in the snow, we go out and play in the cold, and I can't wait to get some cross country skis on clearance at the end of the season. The whole family played outside in the yard on Saturday morning and we all had a blast. Even Seamus, who refused to go outside for 24 hours during our first snowfall, loves trying to catch snowballs. 

We recently had a huge upgrade that I think makes us true Wisconsinites: a snowblower. Leon and Cheryl brought up one that was sitting unused in Grandma Annetta's garage. We've only had it a week and a half but we've already used it 5 times. We're very grateful to finally have one.

This week I watched Ava, my friend Sarah's 10 month old, while she volunteered at preschool. It was so fun to watch the little ones play. These 2 sweet girls did very well together but kept me very busy.

Chad and I feel like Riley and Micaela have really changed lately. Riley is telling more and more elaborate stories and is really developing a sense of humor. She is starting to think more abstractly, using metaphors and similes instead of literal meanings. Micaela clearly has an improved understanding of our language. She can follow instructions ("Go get your coat") and is working extra hard to mimic us and her big sister. Her language is exploding and she can parrot and use words correctly. They are 2 amazing little girls.

2 comments:

  1. 1) WTF is wrong with Chad?? Wear some pants!
    2) I am horrified by the amount of snow you have.
    3) When are you getting a snowmobile?
    4) Are there any hills where you live? I mean, is there skiing/snowboarding available? Are there ski resorts?
    5) You are two amazing (and crazy) parents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. IDK what is wrong with Chad. Although I consider this an improvement: in college he wore shorts all winter long but didn't have wool socks.

    2. I think we have less snow than Tahoe, but it is still shocking. I thought I knew what it was like to have snow in the winter but I had no idea.

    3. No interest. Chad mountain bikes, that's enough racing along terrain at high speed.

    4. I think there is something nearby, I know people go skiing on daytrips. Obviously, no mountains though. I want to try cross country skiing and you don't need hills for that.

    5. Haha thanks. Especially for the crazy part :)

    ReplyDelete