Thursday, August 25, 2016

Thurs. Aug. 25, 2016 - playtime

 Riley did "Puppetry" at vacation bible school which culminated in a puppet show of the parable of the great banquet. Hers is the striped, purple puppet.


 Playing in the rain

 Micaela asked me to draw this, I swear!

 A break during a special Micaela and Mommy shopping trip

 All girls need a tiara headband

 I've taken each of the girls shopping for new shoes. Their choices truly reflect their personalities

 A potatoes electricity experiment

 I was finally brave enough to take the kids to a favorite, but really large and easy-to-lose-children, park by myself. After playing on the huge playground we hiked up the trail...


 ...took in the view at the top...

 And ran down the grassy hill (repeat, repeat, repeat)


 We love our Seamus


Fresh haircuts!


We are enjoying our final free weeks. Last week the girls participated in "Art Camp," a vacation bible school at a local church. I didn't know much about this particular one but it landed on a week when we didn't have plans and the girls wanted to give it a try so I enrolled them. I was extremely impressed. Micaela was with the preschool kids who got to do a small sampling of everything. She loved brining home paintings, a stepping stone, a puppet and maracas. Instead of being grouped by age, older kids like Riley were able to choose which form of art they wanted to do. They could choose visual arts (paints and clay, etc), dance, making and playing drums, cake decorating and carpentry. At first I was surprised when Riley chose puppetry but it was the perfect fit for my creative little girl who loves to tell stories. They made several puppets, learned to make them talk properly, practiced improv and scripted plays. I took the girls to the service where Micaela and her class sang and danced and Riley performed "The master and the great banquet" parable. I was so proud of them both.

I've taken both of the girls back-to-school shopping individually so we could spend some time together. Pro tip: when the 2nd grade list calls for 48 sharpened pencils, make sure you buy pre-sharpened pencils. It was special for me to see how they make difference choices. Micaela wanted pink school supplies and sparkly shoes. Riley opted for Star Wars folders and notebooks and comfortable shoes. We love watching the girls develop and see who they become.

No comments:

Post a Comment