Thursday, March 28, 2013

Thurs. March 28, 2013 - visitors and pediatrician visits

 Great Grandma Jean, Coco and Micaela

Grandpa Charlie and Riley

 Grandpa Charlie built an awesome wardrobe for Diva to store her dress-up clothes

 Micaela loves to read

 Riley hanging with Great Grandma Jean and Coco

 Everyone listens to Grandpa Charlie's story

Poor Micaela took amoxicillin for the first time in her life and, like her Mommy, is allergic to the penicillin family (unfortunately for her the hives got worse before they got better)

 Daddy broke out his trumpet

 Then gave lessons

 My breakfast date

 The driveway is finally clear enough for sidewalk chalk

Funny bunny


This week we had more visitors...Grandpa Charlie and Great Grandma Jean. We had a relaxing weekend at home with them. Grandpa Charlie brought a birthday gift for Riley, her own customized wardrobe for her dress up clothes. It looks great in her pink and purple room and she loves being able to choose her outfits off the rack. 

Unfortunately our week went downhill from there. Late Monday afternoon I took Micaela to the pediatrician where she was diagnosed with a double ear infection and conjunctivitis in both eyes. She seemed fine over the weekend, this came on fast and spread so quickly. Because it was advanced and spread to her eyes the best treatment was amoxicillin. This was Micaela's first sick visit to the pediatrician and she hasn't taken any antibiotics yet so I was worried as myself, my Mom and sister are all allergic to penicillins. We found out the hard way that poor Micaela has inherited this trait. She broke out in a rash on Tuesday, just 24 hours after her first dose and was covered head to toe in hives by the next day. So for a little while she was sick AND itchy, how awful for her (a feeling I remember well even though my reaction was a long time ago). She is getting better but still has spots; the doctor said they may linger through the weekend. I think the infection has cleared but she's uncomfortable and having trouble sleeping. She and I went to a coffee shop after dropping Riley off at preschool this morning (it helps to keep her busy and distracted) and she was smiling and entertaining the other customers, several stopped by our table to say hi. What a trooper!

2 comments:

  1. Poor M! Selina is allergic to amox too, but not nearly as severe as M. Being itchy is horrible! Was there no other antibiotics they could've given her? Poor thing. I would recommend using oatmeal soap to calm the itch (although it sounds like she's pretty much done being itch?). It was the only thing that helped me when I had PUPPP.
    Love the wardrobe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was her first time taking antibiotics so we didn't know if she would be allergic. Amoxicillin was the best antibiotic for this type of infection so the pediatrician wanted to try it. I'm glad she did, its best to know. Unfortunately it ended badly but she was right, amoxicillin was the best treatment, in just a few doses it had started clearing the eye and ear infections. After Micaela went on zithromax the eye infection came back and she needed eye drops in addition to the oral antibiotics. Ugh, sorry for passing this on to you Micaela!

    Riley hasn't had penicillin yet, pretty sure I know how that will go.

    ReplyDelete