Thursday, June 28, 2012

Thurs. June 28, 2012 - Milwaukee Zoo with the Sidmans

 Micaela is 30 weeks old!

 Maybe she didn't trust the glass; Riley scrambled down as the lion walked towards her

 Lizzy and Riley checking out the tigers

 Riley was very happy that this zoo had elephants

 Our group: Chris with Mackenzie on his shoulders, Lizzy pulling an empty wagon, Heather, Riley, and Chad pushing an empty stroller. This was early in the day; later, all modes of transportation had riders

 Hippopotamus

 We saw a cool seal show

 Riley and Mackenzie had a really great time together

 Lizzy graciously gave up her seat in the Sidman wagon so the little girls could ride together

 Its great to live closer and have the chance to spend time with friends!

 Feeding the giraffes

Our little giraffes

 Riley often stays awake after we put her to bed talking with her animals. Not sure what last night's play was, but it looks like Arnold the monkey was declared king

 On Monday the girls and I went strawberry picking

 We managed to get a good haul before everyone got tired

 Riley really loved the wagon ride

For lunch she had a strawberry yogurt parfait while I had a strawberry goat cheese salad. Delicious!

 On Tuesday we made strawberry orange muffins

 The Easter Bunny brought Riley a butterfly habitat but I forgot to order the caterpillars, so they just arrived.

 We measured them as they are supposed to grow quickly

Then took notes on our observations in a butterfly journal (one of the downfalls of having a scientist for a Mom)

 Micaela occupied herself with the castle

 We love having picnics outside in our backyard

 Riley's first picture with the camera (Emily, she'll be ready for her apprenticeship soon)

 Everyone loves chutes and ladders

 Until Micaela starts to move the pieces

Diva noticed that the other girls in her ballet class had buns, so she requested one as well




One of the benefits of moving back to the midwest is being able to see friends and family more often. This weekend we met the Sidman family at the Milwaukee Zoo. It was a great day of checking out the animals and exhibits and spending time with our friends. Riley and Mackenzie are just 6 months apart and they had a blast playing together. Lizzy is a few years older and was very sweet to Riley. Chad and I enjoyed catching up with Chris and Heather. What a great day!


Chad had to travel again this week, so the girls and I kept ourselves busy with projects. On Monday we went strawberry picking at a cute little farm in a nearby town. We got quite a few before Riley became bored, so we spent the rest of the week eating and baking with strawberries. 


Micaela is growing so fast. She has mastered the army crawl and now is all over the place. Riley is quickly learning this means that anything on the floor ends up in Micaela's hands. We're teaching her that she can't just take things from her younger sister, she has to convince her to give it up for some other toy. So far this is pretty easy as Micaela's attention is easy to divert, but I see tough times ahead when Micaela won't give up a beloved toy that Riley left on the floor.


Riley's ballet career may be put on hold. She was excellent in her first class but had a little trouble following instructions in her second class. Today, in her third class, she was all over the place. She refused to stay in her place and perform the moves. Instead she ran in a huge circle around the room, squealing the whole time. Another little girl started following her, so it became a big distraction for the class. The teacher tried repeatedly to get them in line and quiet down but they refused. I saw all of this from the window, dreading the end of class when I would have to claim the little troublemaker as mine. I spoke with the teacher and she said Riley was saying, "I'm being naughty!" as she ran around. Even worse than I thought! I told the teacher that if she is too distracting she should be removed from class and I would take her home. We're going to talk a lot about respecting her teacher in the next 2 weeks (no class next week because of the holiday) and hopefully the next class will go better. If not, she will learn a tough lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment